On this day in 1970, the modern environmental movement was born. Originating at a single US university campus, Earth Day is now a worldwide movement designed to bring attention and action to the plight of our planet. And at Terrakai Skin, it’s one of the most important days in our calendar.
“For Earth Day 2022, we need to act (boldly), innovate (broadly), and implement (equitably). It’s going to take all of us. All in. Businesses, governments, and citizens — everyone accounted for, and everyone accountable. A partnership for the planet”. earthday.org
Terrakai Skin is dedicated to sustainability and to minimizing the harm caused to our Earth, but we want to be accountable to both you and our Earth, so here’s us, putting ourselves out there. Letting you know where we are on our journey, where we want to be, and how you can help us.
So far, we’ve taken steps to:
- Reduce unnecessary plastic packaging
- Reduce the use of virgin plastic and increase PCR packaging
- Ensure our product packaging is as recyclable as possible
We also have a list of 12 (yes 12!) ingredients that you will never see in our products.
Research has shown that all of these ingredients are harmful to humans but do you know what happens as they wash down the drains in your bathroom? You guessed it, they’re just as harmful to the natural environment and particularly sea life. Many of the ingredients are also derived from petroleum which is a non-sustainable resource and its processing and use is significantly contributing to climate change.
Every decision we make at Terrakai Skin comes from a commitment to achieve skin wellness without compromising on Earth and human health. And while we have indeed made significant progress on that front, we'll be the first to admit that we could do more. That's why we're sharing our sustainability goals, hopes, and visions for the future – both to inspire other beauty players in the industry to do the same and to keep us accountable.
Read more about the environmental goals we’re working towards.
What can you do?
“Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can” - Arthur Ashe
It can be overwhelming, but helping our planet starts small, and it starts with each of us as individuals. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Become a recycling guru - Find out what you can recycle and where you can do it in your local area. From soft plastics and writing implements to printer cartridges and batteries, the list will surprise you.
- Become a conscious consumer - Make better choices about single use plastic, other product packaging and the sustainability of each purchase you make
- Research your brands - You’ve made a start with Terrakai Skin, now move on to other purchases such as cleaning products and clothing . Choose sustainability and environmentally friendly options above all
We’d love to hear how you go - DM us with your new Earth Day Resolutions. We’d also love to hear your feedback and suggestions on how we can do better too.